Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Why I love Estee Lauder


Happy Tuesday. Yesterday had its moments. I had some computer issues - mainly installing the Yahoo Music Jukebox and getting it to work. This lead to massive issues with Windows Updates, which should be a blog itself I think. I can sum it up in one word - AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! And as a note, I am not listening to music right now, even though I want to be.

Enough about that. While battling that, I decided to head out to the mall. I promised her to go by Wednesday to go to Build a Bear Workshop so she could obtain a couple limited edition Valentine's Day outfits for her menagerie. With a winter storm predicted for us today I thought it might be wise to get out while we could. (So far we have only rain, but, apparently that could change to snow, although we might be far enough South to miss the big snow. We can hope)

First we got some darling new outfits for Fairy Kitty, Fairy Poodle, Katie Koala and Fairy Bunny to share, and having the nice lady revamp Fairy Bunny - the Wild Child won her for selling Girl Scout Cookies - it is a special edition Girl Scout Bunny, and was a little thin looking. WC had been bemoaning her as mostly skin. She got a sound, a heart and more stuffing so now she looks better.

Then I found a great pair of shoes, exactly what I wanted going in, some cloggy slip ons. I found exactly what I wanted, on sale no less at The Shoe Dept.

I also decided to stop by the cosmetic department. Cosmetics at Macy's was really busy - the counter people were all busy talking to each other or doing inventory or something and I didn't see anything that really called out to me, so eventually we made our way to Dillard's where things seemed more inviting. The Estee Lauder Counter is where I ended up. It so often is. I have been thinking about Estee Lauder a lot lately. I have been very close to buying some new foundation online, and even though they have had some interesting gift with purchase online (although never as good as the stores) and I have had my cart loaded, something made me stop. Now, I know why.

My favorite foundation, both favorite in general and by Estee Lauder is Double Wear. I bought my first bottle 11 years ago I think. I know I bought a bottle for my wedding, and I really think that was the first. I bought Fresco. I liked it. I have bought at least two more. I really really like Double Wear. I can't say enough about how great it is. It looks great, wears just like they say - all day, fifteen hours. It looks as good when I take it off as when I put it on.

Now regular readers and those who know me, know I am a major fan of tinted moisturizers and a dab of concealer where I need it. But, I also wear foundation fairly often - when you have the right foundation it really makes your look. It should look natural. Well, yesterday I was by the way wearing tinted moisturize and concealer with a light application of Bare Minerals Mineral Veil over all. When I made myself comfee in the chair, and my lovely beauty adviser began cleaning a bit of my face, she was surprised to see I have mild rosecea - she complemented me on my application. ( I love that).

Anyway, why was I in the chair. I wanted a bottle of Double Wear, in Fresco, the shade I had worn for years, and the shade which was first picked for me by a EL sales woman. I was going to get a bottle, get the gift and leave. When I asked the woman for Fresco, she said, are you sure? I was surprised. I had never had any complaint over this shade, but, I said, why do you think that is wrong. She said, maybe not, but, if I had time, maybe we could compare and see. So, I ended up in the chair. After applying cleanser to my lower cheek and jaw area, she brushed a little Fresco on and blended in. Below it, she applied one shade under Fresco - maybe, it is kind of in a band on the chart with Fresco, but one down, called Dusk - now, this is interesting. This shade is also designed for those with red in their complexion. The Dusk was a perfect match. The then took that all off, and reapplied only the Dusk and it was amazing. A bit lighter, than what I was used to when wearing foundation. I hadn't realized my skin maybe had changed. With all the exfoliation and other things I do and use, maybe I had lightened. Maybe it is the season. At any rate I bought a bottle, and she nicely gave me two tiny vials she made up so I could use it at home before I opened the full sized. Nice of her to do that.

Then I got the gift. Estee Lauder pioneered the cosmetic gift with purchase years ago, so they generally have good ones. The current one at Dillard's is pretty nice. A picture is at the beginning of this post. Here is the description:

Estee Lauder Gift Time - Choose Your Shades

02/07/2007 through 02/14/2007
This fabulous collection with tortoise accents gives you the season's best colors, advanced skincare and more. It's all yours with any Estee Lauder purchase of $22.50 or more. Worth $65, this exciting collection includes your choice of shades:
- All-Day lipstick (full-size)
- Pure Color Eyeshadow
- More Than Mascara (10 day supply)
- Advanced Night Repair (10 day supply)
Advanced Night Repair (7 day supply)
- Batik Print Train Case
- Companion Pebbled Cosmetic Bag

Offer good while supplies last. Quantities limited. One gift to a customer, please.

It says it expires tomorrow, but, call your local Dillard's and check. Or get up there today! This is a great gift. The choices are warm or cool. I took warm and the lipstick, in Caffe Latte is a perfect color for me. A warm golden pinky peach. Which doesn't sound nearly as pretty as this is on me. As EL reps often do, she slipped me a couple other goodies in the bag - a deluxe sample size of MagnaScopic Mascara and another eye shadow in a great base shade of Auburn Light -this is actually more of a champagny color that looks great on me.

After coming home from the mall, I took off all my makeup, used Philosophy's Micro Peel Pads and then redid my makeup. I really like Dusk - it totally covered my tiny area of broken capillaries that will only be cured by laser treatment with no concealer. And it looks pretty and natural. Oh, and the other thing about Double Wear. My skin is a bit on the dry side of normal. Double Wear is the only long wearing that I have ever tried that felt good and didn't seem to be drying or uncomfortable. It doesn't accentuate any fine lines.

I think everyone should check their shade now and then. The right foundation is the most important thing in my opinion. If you wear it. And another thing - the right shade, which Dusk is for me, will blend so well, you can use it only wear you need it. But, I do use all over, applying with a brush then blending with a little latex sponge wedge. I have long felt that it is hard to get a good match on foundation in the drugstore brands. Not impossible, but, hard. I used to use Revlon's Color Stay and to get the right shade I actually bought two and blended in my hand daily. The pricier foundations do have better pigments and all, and do look better. A bottle of Double Wear lasts a long time and besides, you get a lot in the gift that really adds to your total value.

No comments: